Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Day for Remembering



Today is the 13th anniversary of 9/11.  Before sending off my kids to school today we talked a little about what today is and what it means.  Why we remember and why we are more cautious today.  My teen knew and though he was very young when 9/11 happened he remembers.  My 2nd grader understands, but I think it's important to talk about this with him. He has never lived in a world that terrorism is not very real.  He does not have a memory of what America was like before 9/11, but I do want him to know why it is important for us to remember this day.  

I think it is important to remember because as time passes the sting of this event maybe fades a little, but I don't ever want it to fade so much that we do not remember that there are people in this world that hate American's.  People who hate and want to hurt us.  We are aware but not afraid of this.  We live our lives today like we would any day, but perhaps we are a little more cautious.  More aware of our surroundings.  More aware of the people around us.  I know for me I feel a deep pride in my Country.  Being American is a privilege and a blessing.

I love seeing the patriotism that is shown today.  It makes me a little sad that we don't show this amount of pride everyday.  Being an American is much more than living in America.  Being American means you understand the sacrifices that have been made through out history up to and including today that make this country great and free.  America is more than a place.  America is it's people.  It's real people the ones who would fight right now to protect our people, land, and way of life.  American people are fierce, loyal, protective, hardworking, smart, creative, spiritual, and really so much more.  So really 9/11 isn't only about remembering that we were attacked and many innocent people died.  It is also about remembering that these people who would try to bring down and hurt America tried, and they failed.  We came back stronger than ever.  

So, no matter what may happen today.  America remembers and always will.  

April


No comments:

Post a Comment